Saturday, January 3, 2009

Reflections on 2008

WARNING: If you only enjoy reading something upbeat, click off this blog.

So I’ve been reading through some blogs and the posts about how Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious 2008 was for said bloggers. Ha! Let me reflect on our 2008:

1. On March 17 and April 17, Steve was out for his afternoon walk as he does to control his diabetes. He tripped and fell both times fracturing his left elbow. As a result, he had to undergo physical therapy (twice a week), which ended on July 24. Cost (after insurance): $250+

2. In July, our transmission “died.” Cost to replace with a used transmission: over $1,400. That meant I missed a mortgage payment. I’m still trying to catch up on that missed payment.

3. In late August, our central air conditioning “died.” We spent two weeks sweltering. Cost to repair: Over $300.

4. On November 1, Steve was brutally attacked and robbed in our neighborhood. His wallet and coin purse were stolen, along with his eyeglasses, car and house keys, automatic garage door opener, baseball cap, handkerchief (really now!!!), and canvas bag which contained a newspaper and a can of Comet cleanser. We had to have all of the locks re-keyed. Steve spent over four hours in the Emergency Room. Total cost to date: Over $9,000!!! Thankfully we have insurance that is covering the bulk of the Emergency Room “visit.” (Believe me, we absolutely feel blessed that Steve is alive today.)

5. The thugs who attacked and robbed Steve used his ATM card to charge $45 worth of gas and $9 at a 7-Eleven. Fun time straightening that out talking with a bank rep in India.

6. Then Steve received a letter from the hospital informing him that a copy of his medical records from the Emergency Room visit was stolen. The truck of the courier service that picked up the bag with the medical records was broken into and some fool must have thought it contained drugs. We still don’t know if this will cause future headaches.

7. In November, our automatic garage door “died.” Cost to replace: Over $300.

8. Last month the check engine light came on in my little Ford Focus. Oh, joy! We took the car to Firestone where we go to have any car troubles checked out. In addition to finding out the cause of the check engine light coming on, I asked that they check our tires, brakes, etc., and also change the oil. The check engine light came on because the gas cap was not sealing properly. Okay … easy enough, and not terribly costly to replace, but then I was told this: All four tires were bald and needed to be replaced which also necessitated an alignment. Total cost: Over $650

So … was 2008 a good year for us? Let’s see … uh … I DON'T THINK SO!!!

The best part of 2008 was our son Jim has mellowed and is a total joy. It touches us deeply to hear him say “I love you, Dad.” And last Sunday he gave me a spontaneous hug. He is truly a special young man.

What will 2009 hold? Sadly, we shudder to even think about it.

I hope you "enjoyed" reading this post. Oh yeah … I almost forgot … HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

And this is a reminder to myself .....

6 comments:

Sharla said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that this year, Carol. How fortunate that you have such a sweet husband and son to brighten the hard times. Best wishes for a happy, peaceful new year.

Kalola said...

Sharla ~ Thank you so much.

Julie said...

Wow Carol!! You guys really had a rough year. I'm so sorry for what you have been through. I don't like giving unsolicited advice, so I won't. But if you'd like to know a few of my thoughts, email me. We've been through a bunch of hard things these past 2 years as well and I've learned a lot. I'd love to help if I can. Here's to THE BEST year ever!!

Kalola said...

Julie ~ Thank you for your kindness. We may feel down, but we're certainly not out. :-)

Stephanie said...

Hang in there. 2009 is bound to be better! (I hope)

Kalola said...

Stephanie ~ Thank you for your positive outlook.